IT service management (ITSM) is a strategic approach referring to all the activities performed for an organization to plan, design, provide, operate and manage the information technology (IT) services that are offered to its clients and customers. One of the main ITSM challenge is designing and deploying IT services that support business goals and enhance the efficiency of day-to-day operations to deliver high-quality services and improve customer satisfaction.
Delivering information technology service excellence enables IT to move from simply supporting the business to helping to innovate and optimize the business. Silos of people, processes, information and technology can create barriers of inefficiency and make it difficult to agree on service priorities. Lack of visibility into critical information and inefficient workflows make it difficult to understand service context.
The Solution – SoftExpert ITSM
SoftExpert ITSM is a powerful yet easy-to-use, modular and cost-effective ITIL®-based software package for automating and improving IT service requests, incident and problem management, service level agreements (SLA), knowledge base, configuration management (CMDB) and IT human resources.
The solution allows organizations of all sizes and in every industry to improve IT governance, optimize service levels, boost productivity and reduce related costs, aligning IT infrastructure management with strategic business objectives.
SoftExpert ITSM software incorporates ITIL® and other widely adopted best practice frameworks, integrating service requests, incident and problem management, configuration management and IT human resource management in a single platform, bringing together the best in management practices and the best in technology.
IT Service Management – ITSM
Service Requests: Seamlessly integrates service requests with resources, portfolio and project management. Effectively and efficiently manages IT service requests, resources, budgets and projects, delivering new IT initiatives on time, on budget and per specifications.
Incident and Problem Management: Automates the entire incident and problem management lifecycle through a configurable workflow engine, ensuring critical IT service continuity. Analytical reports provide accurate, relevant and timely information to act to ensure compliance and business continuity.
Configuration Management: Control and protect IT resources deployment by streamlining configuration management processes. Managers can easily define and enforce standardized change processes, securing the correct level of notification and minimum user impact.
IT Human Resource Management: Single and centralized view of the enterprise-wide IT resource supply, demand and skill-level information, allowing for better management and use of IT infrastructure. Managers can ensure that IT teams are growing with the business while implementing individual development and training plans, and continuous employee performance evaluations.
Automates the entire ticket, incident and problem management lifecycle;
Prevents service interruptions and SLA delays;
Increase service desk agent productivity;
Reduces wrongly routed or duplicate incidents;
Prevents wastage of time and resources from poorly planned changes;
Streamlines user experience through self-service portals and easy and custom service catalogs;
Predicts impacts and help informed decision making with CMDB;
Delivers on time and on budget services with integrated Project Management capabilities;
Improves infrastructure availability with integrated Asset Management capabilities;
Provides complete visibility into IT service performance and help to identify improvement opportunities.
Return on Investment (ROI)
Traditionally, when enterprise professionals discuss the Return of an Investment, they are mostly thinking of "financial" benefits. Today, organizations must also consider the "non-financial" benefits of an investment.
Financial Benefits include impacts on the organization's budget and finances, e.g., cost reductions or revenue increases.
Non-Financial Benefits are the so-called "intangibles", "soft", or "unquantifiable" benefits of an investment. Unlike financial returns, there may be no widely-accepted metrics that can be applied. However, SoftExpert Solutions potential for producing positive impacts on business performance and mission results are undeniable. These include improved customer satisfaction, better information, and shorter cycle-time.
The benefits calculation for ITSM should include both revenue enhancement, cost reduction and cost avoidance. Besides providing better service to clients, ITSM reduces running cost to improve profitability, utilizing industry's proven best practices to achieve increased productivity.
SoftExpert IT Service Management (ITSM) solution provides the following benefits:
Increased income by
- Leveraging opportunities for new revenue sources
- Reducing lost revenue through better service level management
Reduced IT operational cost by
- Reducing overhead expenses
- Reduced costs in developing procedures and practices
- Reducing need to add IT staff and reassigning them to more productive tasks
- Improving asset utilization and life cycle management
- Increasing resource utilization
- Optimizing end-to-end service cost
- Improved risk managemeny
Increased productivity of IT staff through:
- Process automation
- Reducing the number of manual tasks and reducing time per task
- Better communication and information flows between IT staff and customers
- Best use of skills and experience
Improved process management:
- Reduces cost of incident resolution
- Reduces self-inflicted incidents via integrated and reliable change
- Reduces service cycle times
- The investment in SoftExpert ITSM will depend on the business unit size and implementation approach.
Return on Investment (%)
- (((Total Annual Savings x n years) – Initial Investment) / Initial Investment) x 100.
Payback Period (years)
- Initial Investment / Total Annual Savings.
Non Financial ROI:
- Increased customer satisfaction with improved quality of IT services delivered.
- Increase in customer satisfaction leads to increase in customer retention rate, reputation, market share and revenue.
- There is a defined process to provide proactively value added services to customers, improving IT governance and driving continual improvement.
- More reliable business strategy support though clearer IT capabilities.
- Improved regulatory compliance with appropriate standards and guidance.
- Improved availability, reliability and efficiency of security and business continuity.
7 Crucial Elements in IT Service Management
The role of service request management