In accordance with the International Organization for Standardization – ISO, the ISO 14000 family addresses the company's Environmental Management System – EMS. An organization with an effective EMS, will be able to:
- minimize harmful effects to the environment caused by its activities, and
- achieve continual improvement of its environmental performance.
An EMS that meets the requirements of the ISO 14000 family becomes a management tool that allows organizations of any size or type to:
- identify and control the environmental impact of its activities, products or services
- improve its environmental performance continually
- implement a systematic approach to establishing environmental objectives and targets, to achieving them and to demonstrating that they have been achieved.